Thursday, May 19, 2005

No swiping


According to this Associated Press story:
JPMorgan Chase & Co. said Thursday it will offer a new credit card that allows users to pay for items by holding the card near a terminal instead of manually swiping it.
As I read this story I was immediately reminded of something I saw while on the elevator in my office building recently. As you get off of the elevator, you have to hold a security card up to a reader to unlock the heavy doors leading out of the elevator foyer. We've all used cards like this and I've often seen women just hold their purses up to the reader. But the other day I saw a man hold his wallet up, only without taking it out of his back pocket. He just turned around and put his butt up to the card reader.

Imagine what life might look like if these new credit cards catch on.

No comments: