Friday, May 13, 2005

Don't know much about history


The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that some Evanston Township High School students would like a debate with Rush Limbaugh to show their knowledge of WWII after Limbaugh made some derogatory comments about their curriculum.
Rush Limbaugh said on his nationally syndicated radio show that Evanston Township High School students "don't know anything about World War II" and "they've probably never heard the name Adolf Hitler" because they're so focused on a multicultural curriculum.
I have no idea if Limbaugh's assertions have any validity, but the story reminded me that I have always felt much of the 20th century was ignored when I was in public schools. My history classes put a lot of emphasis on the colonization of America, the American Revolution and the Civil War. As a junior in high school my history class covered the 1920's and 1930's but stopped short of World War II.

Are schools today teaching much 20th century history? Does anyone else feel that there were important periods of history ignored by your schools?

No comments: