Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tsunami alert


In another subtle reminder that I'm not in Kansas anymore, yesterday the National Weather Service issued a tsunami warning for much of California's coast.
A 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked the ocean floor Tuesday night about 90 miles southwest of Crescent City, sparking a short-lived tsunami warning across Northern California's coast and prompting a partial evacuation of the coastal town.
Now, you might think that someone who lived his first forty-two years in tornado alley would be accustomed to meteorological phenomena. But tornadoes are not as common in the Midwest as many believe. Either that or I was just lucky because, in all the years spent in Kansas, I never witnessed a tornado.

Anyway, I don't think all the "duck and cover" training I got in grade school is going to be very useful if a tsunami hits the Bay.

No comments: